Wednesday, September 16, 2020

New Stuff 2020

We are going to make some changes as we enter our fifth decade later this year. Here is a rundown of what is in the pipeline and where we are on each item:
Divisions… we will go to four divisions of three teams each. I changed my mind numerous times on how to align the divisions. I had some traditional rivalries that I wanted to keep intact but I also wanted the divisions to make sense. I knew I’d never be able to make everyone happy but that’s just how it is. Here is the breakdown I finally settled on:
divisions2020
As I said, I’m guessing that not everyone will be happy but after a few hours of mix-and-match this is the setup I thought worked best. Remember that now everyone will play every team in the league once and, as always has been the case, will play division foes twice. Except for the Pirates and Bombers, everyone was already playing these same teams as divisional opponents. And if you are thinking ‘this division is too tough/easy’ remember how fast things change. Recall that the last season the Pirates (1-10-2) and Settlers (2-10-1) were pretty awful. This year they were in the playoffs and Brooks’ club was 9 points from a Hughes Bowl berth.
Playoffs (Wildcards)… We go from our current setup (3+3) to having four division champs and two wildcards. I’ve been a big proponent of the ‘most points’ qualifier for the final WC slot. But in the new configuration, I think W-L is the way to go. What I am going to do is make total points the #1 tie-break in determining wildcards and seeding of wildcards. Division title ties will still be broken as they are now…head-to-head, then division record, points, etc. But points scored will be used for wildcards as the #1 criteria in breaking ties. I am going to review and update the entire tie-break page this summer.
All the division champs are seeded 1 through 4 and wildcards will come from the entire league as there are no ‘conferences’. I considered a two conference alignment but I think it leaves things open to issues like the ‘best’ two teams meeting in the semifinals. Or a situation in which a 9-win team missing a wildcard slot because a different 9-win team from the same ‘conference’ beat them while a 7-win team gets the bid from the other conference.
Time out for a picture of Johnny Unitas lacing up his high tops.
johnny-unitas-high-tops-super-bowl-v
Playoff waivers… The poll showed me that having waivers open during the playoffs was a popular notion. I may simply extend the same weekly schedule through Week 16. Or I may have a single waiver window open each week. I’ll mull that over this summer as well. What I do know is that waivers will not be open to teams that are not in the playoffs or that get knocked out AND no player acquired during the playoffs will be eligible to be kept the next season. And it stands to reason that any player dropped in those playoff waiver periods is likewise not going to be a keeper option either. No additional funds will be added to any team and I’m thinking about how to prevent ‘system scamming’ with late-season trades for waiver cash. I’m not sure that will be something I will have to do or not.
Lineup Deadlines… I’m going to drag us, kicking and screaming if need be, into the 21st century of fantasy football. This is another proposal I put in a poll and it got a favorable response. Our current system really is rooted in the old ‘lineups by telephone’ days. Most leagues now give owners the flexibility to change lineups right through their players’ game times. It’s pretty simple. Think of how it works on Thursday night players when players are ‘locked’ at kickoff and apply that to the entire weekend. The simplest example is having two receivers that play on Sunday Night. You already have one in your lineup* but if he comes up lame in warm-ups or is suddenly listed as ‘inactive’ you will have the option to switch to the other one, or to a guy you have who plays on Monday night.
Obviously, players are locked in or locked out once their scheduled kickoff passes. I honestly don’t know how much of a ‘cushion’ the system gives you, i.e. can you change a player at 3:24 if his kickoff is at 3:25? I’m sure someone will find that out. Also, you’ll have to be aware that the second ‘window’ of games on Sunday has staggered start times.
The only downside to this one is that you will no longer be able to look at your opponent’s lineup at noon on Sunday and not have to check it again (or your own for that matter). With the late afternoon and night game on Sunday as well as the MNF game, his lineup could change if he has players available.
*=note that partial lineups are never allowed by the system, it causes too many problems.
Consolation Bracket... because it’s easy to do I will set up a playoff bracket for the team that didn’t qualify for the Hughes Bowl bracket. I’m not a huge fan of this sort of thing (I’m in a league that does it and I’ve half-assed my way thru it a few times) but it was a suggestion and I can’t think of a reason not to set it up. If I add an incentive (waiver cash bonus?/draft slot choice?) maybe it’ll serve to keep owners interested.
Draft Timer… I don’t think we really have a need for this but the vox populi said differently. I’ll think of the best way to do it without putting a crimp in anyone’s ability to draft. In general, leagues tighten up their draft times in later rounds. I’m open to suggestions.
And a non-Starter, at least for this year… I’ve given some thought to the proposal that we lift the position restriction on keepers. I’m fine with that, and the poll indicated that most owners were as well. But I always try to give a year’s lead time to any changes in the draft. It’s possible that someone drafted this past August with a long term plan based on keepers for 2020. We’ll hold off on this one until the 2021 draft. It’ll get the thumbs up or down before this upcoming draft.
That’s admittedly a lot to unpack. If you have questions, concerns, or suggestions you know what to do. Email me!
But, on the other hand, if you think that might not be enough change, well consider that I am tinkering with the scoring system as you read this. I think we can adjust the points for running backs and receivers to make the position points more equitable. The NFL game has changed. I think it’s perfectly fine if we do as well. I doubt I’ll make any changes right now but I want to look closer at the possibilities.
That’s all for now. I may add to this or post a follow-up this week or next.  I’m scheduling this to be posted on New Year’s Day. I hope each of you and your families will have a great 2020. It’s gotta be better than 2019, amirite?

No comments:

Post a Comment