Thursday, December 3, 2020

Week 12 Recap Redux

 

I GOT THIS!  Nope, I sure as shit didn't

Monday Morning Update

In the playoff projections below I failed to account for the possibility of a three-way 7-6 tie among the Strawmenn, Giants, and Flyers if the Bliz won the Kuhlmann Division. As I type this there is the real possibility that could occur. If it does we go to the tie breaks for WildCards for three teams. Since the teams are all from different divisions we can go past the first step which eliminates a team if two of the three are in the same division. Next is head-to-head among the three, Nobody swept the other two, all are 1-1 in our games against each other. Next tiebreak is Net Points in all games. The Flyers have more than the Strawmenn (who are done for the week) and are far enough ahead of the Giants (200 pts, give or take) to assume they'd win that tiebreak. 

I will admit to rushing through the projections last week. The games extended into Wednesday but I shouldn't have let that cause problems. My apologies. 

------------------------------------------
First, an important note...I hadn't realized that there was no Thursday game this week so I am pushing the trade deadline to 5 p.m. Saturday. 


Also remember that playoff teams will be allowed to use the waiver system during the playoffs. The calendar is different though. There will only be the blind bids which process on Wednesday night. There will be no first come, first served sessions as we have now. As I've stated previously I will make any adjustments I think are needed to get us through this season. I appreciate your understanding.  Keep in mind that any player claimed in the postseason WILL NOT be eligible to be kept for 2021. Nor will any player cut to make room for them. In other words I'll be determining draft values for next year based on the rosters after Week 13 ends minus any player cut after that. Non-playoff teams and teams eliminated during the playoffs will be locked out of transactions with the following exception. If you have players on IR I will move them to your regular roster if there is room or ask you if you want to cut them or someone else to make room. No team will have more than 19 players total on their list of players eligible as keepers. You could have less based on the above. 

----------------------------------------------------------------
Friday morning edit... this past week has shown how precarious the whole NFL season is in terms of finishing. I've been mulling over options as to what to do if it all grinds to a halt. I reserve the right to adjust this but I think the bottom line would be declaring a champ based on the highest seeded team standing after the last completed NFL week. It's clean, easy to determine, and, I think, fair. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that. I like doing the commemorative Hughes News, Hughes Bowl edition! Now, back to the usual foolishness...
------------------------------------------------------------------


I re-read my latest blog post and realized that I had been either wrong or unclear on a few possible playoff outcomes. I think the following is correct. EDIT...Legends could be #1 seed so I have adjusted the text below in purple. You are welcome to double-check my math. I'll review everything before I post the seedings once Week 13 is over. As we've seen that could be problematic. In that regard, I think the NFL has been lucky as they've navigated this minefield of a season. Wouldn't surprise me if a mine went off. We will deal with that if and when it happens. OK, on to the projections.......

Lombardi:
Heroes and Legends are playing to determine the division winner. Heroes would be the #2 seed with a win. Legends have a win over Nats and would get #1 with a win and a Nats loss. Either way the loser of this game gets the #5 seed as a wildcard. Heroes would take the division in case of a tie. Flyers were eliminated with the Giants' win.

Kuhlmann:
Strawmenn are a game up on the Bliz. Obviously, they get the division with a win. If the Biz win the Division the Strawmenn would get the #6 seed as a wildcard.
For that to happen the Bliz must win and outscore the Strawmenn by 74 64 points (plus a Smenn loss). The 74 64 points sounds unreachable but consider this...in Weeks 3 through 9 as well was this past week, the league high score was at least 75 points better than the low score. And in some cases 75 points better than a couple of scores. So it's possible.
The Sticks needed to win out and have the other two lose two. That's gone, Sticks are out of playoff contention.

Barenholtz:
Nationals have the #1 seed with a win or if they end up losing and the Heroes win the Lombardi. They would be #2 seed if they lose and Legends win the Lombardi.
The Giants have the inside track to the #6 seed. To lose it they'd have to lose AND see the Bliz win the Kuhlmann based on the scenario above. They lost to the Strawmenn so they'd lose out for the WC spot.
The Pirates are out of contention.

Hamman:
Holes have the division won. They would be the #4 seed if both they and the Strawmenn win and have 8 wins. They lost to the Strawmenn. If the Bliz win the Kuhlmann the Holes would get the #3 seed win or lose due to having beaten the Bliz this year.
Rbacks and Bombers are eliminated.

I think I've covered all possibilities except for games ending in a tie. Let's hope for my sake that doesn't happen. 

And thanks to Dan for tipping me wise on the Legends-Nats seed possibility. I had the 'W' going to the wrong team on my chart. That's not the first time I've thought of "James' team" and looked at the Flyers' roster, schedule, etc. Eventually, I'll remember that I'm the Flyers again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment