Tuesday, September 12, 2023

The Residue of Design?

 


I see this quote attributed to Branch Rickey, John Milton, Larry King, Elmer Fudd and others. Well, whoever said it first never played fantasy football. Because in fantasy football luck is the residue of luck

There's no other way to explain winning with two starters getting donuts. I'll take the win and move on but sheesh, c'mon, man. That's squirrelly. 

OTOH my absolute MONSTER baseball team got punked by the 4th seed in the first round of the playoffs. I was 18-3 in the regular season, almost 45 points a week better than #2. Hell, I lost two of those three as the league's second high scorer for the week (lost to #1). Last week I beat my average and again had the second highest scoring but the 4 seed scored 80+ over his. LOL, see ya 'round.

All that aside, let's talk a little Hughes...two teams, the Giants and Sticks had more points on the bench than most teams scored for real...last year the average Week One scoring was a smidge under 108. This past week the average was 84.05. Da hell is going on? That 84ish is lower than ANY 2022 week. 

You have to go back to 2021's Week 9 to find a weekly average comparable to that (it was 83 points with a bunch of NFL byes contributing). We've only been in the 80s four times since we went to a form of PPR and the other three were mid-season weeks with multiple NFL byes. I hope this isn't a trend. Hopefully we will course correct over the next few weeks.


Housekeeping Items:

#1...Waivers are rolling on their regular schedule now. Blind Bids are accepted through 9 p.m. Wednesday night when they will process. Minimum $10 bids in this window. Then on Thursday morning at 7 a.m. First Come, First Served waivers kick in until Noon on Sunday. Claiming a free agent player in that form will cost you $5. Consult the league calendar for your local time.

#2...I saw reports on the MFL commish forum that the live scoring page has been plagued by obtrusive ads. I don't see them thanks to my browser's ad blocking and even when I disable that I don't see ads. I've added some coding that supposedly will block/suppress the ad but I'm not totally sure if it works. Your milage may vary. 

#3...I had some enhancements to that live scoring page in place in years past but they seem to have gone south, possibly related to #2 above. The result was that the headings (team names, etc) were invisible. I've removed the code I had in place and now the old 'plain Jane' page is working almost as expected. :::EDIT::: The new (Tuesday morning)  'fix' for the broken code for the scoring page didn't work for me. I'll continue to jack with it as time allows. Meanwhile the page works, it's just not all that fancy.

#4...I was very focused on the new draft room this year and kind of blew off the league site and therefore some of the 'in-season' modules didn't appear until this weekend. I'm still moving and tweaking so if you are trying to find info you make have to poke around. One or two things under the Gameday, Numbers and Front Office tabs have issues and if I can't figure out why I will get rid of them.



Back when I was maintaining a sports memorabilia blog I happened to mention radio sports broadcaster Stan Lomax in a post. He has a long and very successful career on New York radio. I remember every evening in the 60s when my father got back from work he'd turn on WOR and we'd listen to Lomax' 15 rundown of the world of sports. He had a very distinctive voice and cadence that I can still hear in my head all these years later.

Anyway, not long after that blog entry I got a message from Stan's granddaughter. She's a singer/songwriter and I looked into her music. I liked what I found and have 'followed' her since. Like her grandfather, Heather Ann Lomax has a rich voice. She's country but not 'twangy'. I'm a fan




BTW... I found this clip of 1976 Stan online. He was getting up in years but still did his 45 minute broadcast every evening. 





I did solo grandpa duty yesterday. Ellis Rose and I both survived!

Breakfast...


Dancing to the Wiggles...


She loves her toy guitar!



No comments:

Post a Comment