Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Week One Recap

If you were tracking scores this week I want you to know that the NFL (or me, either) isn’t responsible for your case of whiplash.



The points ran hot and heavy. I had the same thought this morning that a couple of others did…this was the highest weekly scoring ever. That turns out not to be the case.


Teams averaged 108 points this week. That’s good for 7th on the list of highest scoring weeks:

  • 2018 Week 4 113 PPG
  • 2018 Week 12 112
  • 2014 Week 11 111
  • 2018 Week 2 110
  • 2014 Week 8 109
  • 2019 Week 3 109
  • 2020 Week 1 108
You will notice 2018 has three entries in that list. That was the year of scoring dangerously. The average score per team per week was over 106 Pts. That’s a full eight points higher than any other season in our current scoring setup. So 2020 has a ways to go to approach that level of crazy. OTOH, look what 2020 has handed us so far. I’d say anything is possible.
Oh… the games. The Giants made their first step in defending their title by squeaking out a one-point win over the Rbacks. Michael Thomas crapped the bed (ok, he was hurt) for Dave and the R’s 107 wasn’t quite enough….the Flyers hit the sack Monday night resigned to a ‘Welcome Home’ loss for the commish. But someone woke up Melvin Gordon and his pushed the rock uphill in the second half and the Sticks (a far superior team, all things considered) ended up on the short end. Odd that in a big scoring week 96 points was enough to win two games.
The Heroes were the other winner with that total. And like the Flyers they did their damage late. Daniel James brought Hogan close in the early Monday Night game. Derrick Henry did just enough to get them past the favored legends, 96-94. Four other losing teams had more than the 96 scored by the winning Flyers and Heroes. I offered up a pole that would help eliminate some of the luck factor in all this, but NOOOO. You guys voted it down. ¯\(°_o)/¯ It makes ZERO sense, but whatever.
The Blizzard, who look seriously potent despite using a Patriots running back, slapped around another powerhouse in the Strawmenn. Of course, when you roll out McCaffery, Aaron Jones, and Russ Wilson (plus some serious receivers) you can afford to dick around with Belichick’s foolishness.
The Nats may be my favorite team this year, only because they are using my guy, Teddy Bridgewater. I hung on to TB for five seasons in my dynasty league, refusing to cut him even when I desperately needed a roster spot. Ya gotta have faith, right? I just knew in my soul that he’d make it back to a frontline job. Is he gonna set the world on fire? Nope. But he’ll play his heart out every week. Oh, and the nats bumped off the Bombers by 25. Bobby’s team will go as far as those kids he’s got will take him.
GAME OF THE WEEK…Holes 143, Pirates 131.
Yeesh…131 and you’re 0-1 on the year. 274 points, by the way, is a tie for the 7th highest game total ever. You can check that by playing around on the Numbers tab. Use the League History module and go to Misc.–>CombinedPoints and look at ‘Most Combined’.
The Holes look like they have a shot to be unbeaten this year. At the head of the Hughes League class, I’d say. But if you’re looking to drop some long-shot cash in Vegas, put it on someone in that Barenholtz Division. I won’t take a cut but remember who tipped you off.

Someone this year: “But, but, I was the second-highest team in scoring! How did I miss the playoffs?”
Me: “Ask someone who cares.”

League Crap….
I’ve changed the league page and may not be through yet. I hated the standard MFL Live Scoring page but I had to use a different scheme to get the modified (and much better) version to work.
I’m going to try to post a recap weekly. No promises. Like my memorabilia blog, stuff like this usually goes out into the vastness of the ‘net and bounces around without hitting anything. If I’m gonna write I hope someone reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment