Sunday, September 5, 2021

Phone Apps And Other Magic

First of all, thanks to those of you who tested access to our site on your phone and reported back to me.  David was able to get things squared away. I tinkered with the mobile league site script but that may just be a coincidence. Another owner owner reports issues but since everyone else seems to be fine with accessing the site I suspect the script may just not work well universally. I'll continue to look deeper into the issues.

Meanwhile I realized that I hadn't recently mentioned the available mobile apps that allow you to manage your team on phones and tablets. A few have fallen by the wayside over the past few years but two have continued to be available and another one has appeared recently.

All three of these apps are free (ad supported) and all perform the same basic functions for an MFL owner...lineup selection, trade proposals, scores and standings, etc. I've used both of the first two listed here at various times over the years. There was a time when the Wifi at Texans games was pretty unreliable and these apps seemed to work better there than trying to access the site (or any site on a browser). That changed when the Super Bowl came to Houston and the NFL forced them to come up with a better WiFi system. Now that I now longer have Texans tickets the whole thing is moot. The site works great for me in mobile 'mode' so I'll rely on that when using my phone but I understand that not everyone has the same experience so here are the alternatives...Myfantasyleague apps you can download to your phone for free. These below are in the Apple App Store (search 'my fantasy league') and I'm sure one or more will be in the Android Store as well.

MFL Platinum

This is (I think) the oldest and most popular of the apps, at least in the Apple App Store.



MFL Mobile 2020*

This one is a little more difficult to navigate and not as intuitive as Platinum but it does everything you'd need an app to do as far as team management. It also has the most customization options. A few choices (player news) send you to a page on our league site so if you have difficulty accessing our league with a browser on your phone you may have the same issues with a few features of this one. 

Over the last few years this is the app I've used the most. That may not be the case anymore. As i said I prefer to use the mobile menu with our actual site and a new app (seen below) has impressed me.

*=The name is still listed as '2020' although the app is fine for use this season.




MFL Lite

This one is new to me. I came across it today for the first time. I like the interface and it seems to do everything you'd need an app to do. Like the others it allows you to manage multiple MFL teams by switching leagues. It has a few advantages over the others. It has a nice side-by-side view of game lineups. I like how it lists your team's weekly scores. All-in-all it pretty well done. 

It shows the latest NFL news stories from Rotowire on the front page but filtering with the 'My News' toggle results in a blank page. I'll keep checking that since it may not be a bug, it may just mean that RotoWire doesn't have any recent news on my players.

Unlike the other two this doesn't seem to give me access to Commissioner's tools but that wouldn't be a drawback for anyone else (or me actually...I rarely need to switch to commish mode once we are up and running for the season). 

It has the highest rating of the three but that's based on only a few reviews. I'll be interested to see how this one evolves. Looks like the developer is pretty responsive to suggestions.


So there is a look at the three mobile apps I'm aware of that give you the ability to manage your MFL team(s). 




No comments:

Post a Comment