Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Week Five...Working Like A Dog

I'm about as tired of wrestling with the league page on Firefox as you likely are hearing about it. I've spent hours doing everything I know how and can't get it to work right consistently. Rather than pour any more time into it I just gonna switch my default browser, at least through the end of the Hughes season. Bye, bye Firefox, Welcome back Vivaldi. I used Vivaldi ( a better, tweaked version of Chrome) for several months last year and I can't remember why I gave up and switched back to Firefox. But it'll hit me one of these days when something goes south on this one.

In the meantime, the work I did on the site wasn't a total waste. I did clean up much of the custom stuff I had and eliminated much of the bloat. A few features I liked weren't used much if at all so I got rid of them. I put the Marquee (headline ticker) back on Tuesday night but it doesn't look to be running very smoothly so it will come and go as I experiment a bit with it this week. Hopefully, there are no additional issues among you guys that I haven't heard about. 

Meanwhile...back in the League.... We have a new single-game scoring record and I'm kind of proud to say it's the Flyers. Yup, 186 breaks the old mark of 181 which was established by the Holes in Week 12 of 2018. I'd have broken thru the 200 point ceiling if I hadn't listened to some bad 'professional' advice and sat Miles Gaskin. Funny thing...I stayed up to catch the whole Monday Night game (Lamar Jackson is fun to watch) so I knew our scores but the Tuesday morning results email had me at 176. The first thing I thought of was a scoring change (would have had to have been a pretty big one!) but the webpage still had 186 so I got to feel good about my team all over again.

BTW...one of the absolute best features of the site is the Historical records page which is accessible through the Links module down the right side of the front page. It only shows the current name of each franchise (Attica records show as Portland for example) and it only goes back to 2003 which is when we moved to MFL. That first season's numbers (we were still in TD scoring mode in 2003) can skew some results, but there is a lot to see if you dig around. Wanna guess the biggest margin of victory in our history? [answer at the bottom] And would never guess that we've had 31 ties since the 2003 season started, and 39 games decided by one point!

In other action, the Sticks and Giants cruised to wins which have helped establish them as the leaders in their divisions. We are two weeks from the midpoint of the season. (I like that the 14 game schedule gives us an actual mispoint once again.) If the season was over right now and the playoffs were starting we'd have the Flyers, Sticks, and Giants as division champs and the Nats, Blizzard, and Pirates in as Wild Cards based on record. But wait, there's more! We'd have our first seven-team playoff field. The Legends with a 109+ PPG are outscoring the Nats and Pirates so they would qualify for the postseason as well. 

It would be a heartbreaking situation for the Strawmenn who have more points than the Nats and are just one point behind the Pirates total. They'd be out in the cold by the equivalent of twenty rushing yards and the fact that the Legends would nab the only 'bonus slot' available. I hope things stay this tight all the way to Week 14.

Random Stuff... Seven teams have two guys on the IR list, and only two teams are IR-free. I saw a report of a few COVID cases hitting the NFL players this week so be sure and check your lineups all the way through the weekend...if you have an IR violation (someone who is no longer eligible for the list that you haven't yet activated or cut) you will be locked out of lineup submission by the system... Remember that in-season trades no longer get you a two-year eligibility 'bump' in draft values. Players acquired in trades will hold the same value that had this year when next year's draft comes around. So it's really a one-year bonus... 

Week Five was also significant in that it marked the maximum games played for Dalvin Cook Rule eligibility.  With three exceptions the listed players will no longer be eligible for 2022 Cook Rule retention once they appear in one more game. The exceptions are Josh Jacobs, Chris Carson, and Calvin Ridley who have all missed at least one game this year. Jacobs has already returned to the field, Carson doesn't appear to have a long-term issue and Ridley missed this past weekend with a 'personal issue'. None have been placed on the NFL's IR which is also a requirement for gaining a year under the rule. Christian McCaffrey was kept by the Blizzard under the Cook Rule so he would not be eligible again even if he otherwise qualified. All the others on the list have now played five games. 

1.01 Clear Lake StrawmennHenry, Derrick TEN RB
1.02 Rhodesia RidgebacksBarkley, Saquon NYG RB 
1.03 Baja BombersElliott, Ezekiel DAL RB 
1.04 Portland PiratesJones, Aaron GBP RB
1.05 Thailand SticksChubb, Nick CLE RB
1.06 Baltimore FlyersAdams, Davante GBP WR
1.07 Syracuse NationalsHill, Tyreek KCC WR 
1.08 Joliet GiantsTaylor, Jonathan IND RB
1.09 Adirondack HolesKelce, Travis KCC TE 
1.10 Boulder BlizzardMcCaffrey, Christian CAR RB 
1.11 Lincoln LegendsHarris, Najee PIT RB 
1.12 Tampa HeroesHopkins, DeAndre ARI WR
2.01 Tampa HeroesMixon, Joe CIN RB
2.02 Lincoln LegendsCook, Dalvin MIN RB 
2.03 Boulder BlizzardMahomes, Patrick KCC QB
2.04 Adirondack HolesJacobs, Josh LVR RB (3 GP)
2.05 Joliet GiantsPitts, Kyle ATL TE
2.06 Syracuse NationalsCarson, Chris SEA RB (4 GP)
2.07 Baltimore FlyersJackson, Lamar BAL QB
2.08 Thailand SticksRidley, Calvin ATL WR (4 GP) 
2.09 Portland PiratesJefferson, Justin MIN WR
2.10 Baja BombersSanders, Miles PHI RB
2.11 Rhodesia RidgebacksAllen, Keenan LAC WR
2.12 Clear Lake StrawmennEvans, Mike TBB WR

And... In looking at the Rules page I realized that the Cook Rule section was rather confusing. I think that while updating it this past offseason I had failed to delete a portion of the old rule which made the whole thing less clear. I'll be working on that today. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Answer: 101 Points---Week 13, 2016...Heroes 137, Flyers 36. Of course, the Heroes scored about half that and lost in the Wildcard round the next week, so there's that. The records page shows the results as the Legends losing that game to the Heroes because of how the franchises have swapped around in the last half dozen years. A franchise timeline should be my next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment