Friday, July 14, 2023

Summer Update II and a Call For Volunteers

 


52 Days..... that's how far we are away from our 44th EHFL Draft. So now is a good time for a quick update. No Earth-shattering news here but I have some reminders and we will have a new draft experience this year I need to talk about.

The Draft... We will kick it off on Tuesday, September 4 ay 6:30 CENTRAL (7:30 Eastern). Paz has graciously offered us his house in the Heights again. I will send the details as the day approaches. 

The Draft Order... The night before the draft I will generate the order using the tools included with our MFL site. Worked like a charm last year. I didn't care for where I ended up but whatever.

The Draft 'Room'... No, I'm not referring to Paz dinning room table. I'm talking about the one part of MFL I dislike...their draft room. For the last couple of years I've been tempted to try a third party app...specifically Prime Time Draft. It's pretty slick and much more visually appealing that the native MFL draft room. But I'm always hesitant to make a change like this after all these years of using the MFL room, especially since some of you are not all that tech savvy (I'm pointing no fingers, you know who you are). 

It was developed to use in a 'local draft user' setting but it does work for remote owners. I send the URL and everyone can use their own device, Win, Android, or Mac/iOS. I've run a couple of trials (it lets you do two rounds without a purchase) and it seems pretty intuitive. But I have a couple of questions for the company which I will try to get answers to this week. Okay, I heard back from the folks who sell the program and they (sort of) put my mind at ease as to how this thing works. I went ahead and paid the $30 and we will see how it goes this year. It gets good reviews among some other league commissioners so I figure it'll be a plus for us. I am going to send out a request for some owners to help me do a trial run at some point in the next few weeks.

Here is a screenshot. Note that the draft order and selections were just random for testing and without using the timer option the clock is always at 00:00. 


Here's what you see when your turn comes up and you click the clock. You can filter positions/teams as shown and then make your selection.---


And when you make your pick....



Please let me know if you would be interested in helping with the dry run of the new draft page. I'd aim for a Sunday evening. It wouldn't take long to have three or four teams 'draft' a couple of rounds just to see how it goes. I might like having someone (or more than one) participate and also Zoom or FaceTime so I can get a good look at the screen as seen by remote owners. Please let me know if I can count on you. It would be much appreciated.



Meanwhile here is some music from one of my favorites, David Gray.









1 comment: