Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Week Five Recap

Aaaand we're hitting the mid-season in a week or so, gonna turn for home. I honestly had my doubts we'd make it this far. From this point on I think things will get kind of dicey. They've reshuffled the NFL schedule and the next step open to them is probably adding weeks to the end of it. We'll see.  

Meanwhile, we have a few trends to explore in the Hughes. 

Oh, that Lombardi Division! Everyone at
3-2. The Flyers have the EHFL's most points scored, and the EHFL's  most points against. That second stat better end because, with Dak Prescott down for good, the first stat is bound to change. Overall the edge right now goes to the Heroes who have a win over the Legends.

Both the Flyers' and Legends' wins came with a fair amount of pucker as the Heroes and Giants made life interesting at the end.

The other close division is the Hamman. Holes had their turn putting the Bombers in the barrel and moved themselves to a game up on the R'backs. Now that I'm thinking about it, this new schedule format with the odd number of teams in each division will take some getting used to. Some teams have played three division games while others have only played one. It'll all work out in the end but in the meantime, it's throwing me off. ¯\_(ヅ)_/¯

Bliz had been rolling along. then they met the Strawmenn and found themselves on the short end of an ass whipping. Sticks got one of those 'take-it-and-don't ask-questions' wins when they scored 78 and still beat the Rbacks. The Sticks got 32 from Kyler Murray, 21 from Jamison Crowder, and 25 from their other six starters. Those wins kept them both in the race. They better make some hay before Christian McCaffrey is back for Paz.

The Nats are still undefeated, the last of that breed in the league. It was the second time they took the Pirates to the woodshed in the last three weeks. Again, this schedule is going to need some tweaking next year. Our esteemed defending champs are not exactly chumps, but the Giants better put some wind in their sails if they want a shot at defending the crown.


Want a laugh? The graphic below is the trade analysis I ran for an offer I got in my third league (click to enlarge). In 41 years of doing this, that's BY FAR the worst trade offer I've ever seen. Not just received, but ever seen. And as shitty as it looks, its actually worse because that league has inflexible position requirements. I would have had to drop another receiver, Allen Robinson, Tyler Boyd. or Darrius Slayton.

I don't know the guy at all. Turns out he's really nice. He emailed me after I sent my polite "Sorry, but I'm not seeing much upside." rejection. He asked me if I'd let him know honestly what I thought of the offer. So I told him...not one single guy I was getting was worth starting and  not many of them were even worth holding on to. Certainly not in a 3-keepr, non-dynasty league. I mentioned that there were at least four QBs on the waiver wire better than Goff, etc, etc. 

Got an email back tonight and he talked about how he found that folks' different perspective on player value was interesting. And this is the co-commish I find out.

Well, alrighty then.

League Stuff... We are going to a 19-player roster beginning on Thursday as FCFS waivers open. I thought long and hard about the use of provisional starters. I haven't ruled that out but I don't think I want to go that route unless we absolutely have to... I really didn't even want to go to bigger rosters because of the effect that has on waivers. The talent pool is pretty shallow out there as it is. But we'll do what we need to in trying to keep our heads above water.. I'm gonna be happy when we get back to a more judicious waiver balance next year. These huge amounts to pull down players gives me facial tics. But I'm gonna get into it I guess if I have to. I used to think bidding $21 on anyone was over the top. LOL... 

Stay safe, stay flexible, and read your damn email!

2 comments:

  1. Why do you have the Seattle defense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a defense agnostic. They are a crapshoot every week. Seattle just happened to be the highest scoring the week i needed a cover.

      Delete