Thursday, July 27, 2023

 

A trio of things to go over as we head towards our 44th draft. First...

The Practice Draft

I'm going to run this on Sunday, August 6 at about 8 p.m. CENTRAL time. Here's what I plan on....

I'd like as many owners as possible involved. The more the merrier. If you are participating I'd like you to check in via text or phone sometime between 7:30 and 7:45 so I know who's involved. I will send my number to you prior to the date of the mock draft. At that point (Sunday at 7:45-ish) I will set up the mock draft and send out (via email probably) the link to the draft. 

EDIT.. Have no fear, I will be sending out reminders as to the date and time as we get closer. Probably several..I know how you guys are.

I'll likely set it up for three or four rounds depending on the number of folks involved. It won't take long, Obviously as a practice draft it'll make no difference who you take. 

I may set up a Zoom meeting (or something of that nature) since I'd like to be able to communicate with some (or all) of you as this is moving along. Here's why....

During the draft I hope to test out some of the 'commish tools' so I am familiar with them before the real deal. I'll try to 'stop' the draft, reverse a pick, maybe skip a pick, etc. I might ask someone to try and pick out-of-order to see what happens. That sort of stuff. I'm anxious to know what controls I have over what goes on in the draft room. 

As I said, it shouldn't take long so if you can carve out the 30-45 minutes for the sake of the good ol' Hughes League I'd be very grateful!

Next...

Keeper Count

The poll, which I did say was non-binding, showed that most owners preferred one flex player to two. BUT almost everyone communicated they didn't care either way or that they would be fine with my deciding. 

I'm leaning towards the two flex spots. I've looked pretty closely at RB numbers for the last couple of years. The NFL is simply not a running league anymore. Asking our owners to field two respectable backs means putting teams at a disadvantage. If you have two, great. Heck you can start three if you want to but it's not likely to roll that way.

I heard from a couple of owners that they wanted it to be kept simple. My point is that having more flexibility in lineup selection IS making it easy. Pick your six (qb, rb, 2 wr, te, k) and then your best two available players. 

Unless I hear from someone who really has an issue with the change I think we will go that route.

And finally...

$$$$$

I hate asking for the money but it's a necessary evil. With the cost of the league (up this year AGAIN) and the trophy I figure that $15 per team will cover it. I'll spring for the cost of the new draft room experience this year since it may turn out that it's something we don't move forward with.

Also, a few of you paid a year in advance last season If that's you I won't expect another payment. I will send my PayPal/Venmo/Cash App credentials in a separate email soon. Your prompt attention will be appreciated. Don't make me beg, OK?



Who's That Girl?








RIP Tony Bennett. He was the best.





No comments:

Post a Comment