Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Week Three...

 


With Week 3 in the books, we can begin to draw a few... 

The standings show us two unbeaten teams... and they are both owned by the Scofield Gang©...if their form holds it sets up an interesting Week 6 family clash between the Pirates and Nats... the Bombers are the top-scoring club and their consistency bodes well for them...the Flyers are right behind them but that is due in large part completely to their freakish total this past week... I don't know about you but I'm surprised at the three 0-3 clubs... but I shouldn't be. The Strawmenn and Rbacks have taken serious injury hits while the Legends are the victim of bad fantasy luck. Their scores are trending up and that would bode* well in a long season but the 14-week fantasy year doesn't look kindly at bad starts...

One of my favorite things to do with the league site is check the Weekly Summary chart. It is under the Scores dropdown on the top menu. (Link here) That's where I noticed that the Legends have outscored a couple of 2-1 clubs. How many times over 45 years have I said that luck plays a huge role in fantasy football? The schedule and injuries can wreck a good club. James has had more points scored against him than any other club (and it's not very close). Ain't no defense in fantasy. On that Summary page, you can switch to view Potential Points (best possible lineups). That's always a good way to feel bad about yourself. 

Random Thoughts: since nobody reads this anyway... The Flyers' 162-point total isn't that unusual as we've averaged one 160+ point score every season over the last decade... why are there two Monday night games? Doesn't that split the ratings and lower ad revenue? It just seems counter-productive... we've had two, count 'em, TWO trades so far this season... I'm gonna faint... I moved the Chat module to a more prominent place on the site... I hope you use it. Nobody comments here very often (that's a huge understatement) but maybe some will be encouraged to drop some wisdom in the chat module... Looks like I was right about Sam Darnold, he's thriving in that Viking offense. I regret trading him and did almost as soon as I dealt him... I vowed not to chase 'last week's points' this year but I make the same vow every year, and I never stick to it. Never... I've been thinking of shaking up the division alignments and/or the schedule next year (if there is a next year). Thoughts welcome. 

Finally, here's a fun list. These are the highest-scoring Free Agent weeks in our history. You can toss out half of them as they came during our playoffs and we had no playoff waivers until a couple of seasons ago. I wish I could go back and see what the bidding was the week following each performance that came during the regular season.  


RankPlayerMFLYearWeekPts
1Harrison, Jerome CLE RB-20091547.00
2Volek, Billy TEN QB-20041546.00
3Fitzpatrick, Ryan TBB QB-2018145.00
4Holcomb, Kelly BUF QB-20041240.00
5Hurts, Jalen PHI QB-20201540.00
6Volek, Billy TEN QB-20041439.00
7Henne, Chad MIA QB-2011139.00
8Foles, Nick PHI QB-20181639.00
9McCown, Josh CLE QB-2015538.00
10Claypool, Chase PIT WR-2020538.00

I did check to see the Fitzpatrick saga for 2018. After FitzMagic's sterling Week 1 performance, he was nabbed by the Pirates for $41 and started in Weeks 2 & 3 with fairly nice results but got hurt and sat a month or so. Portland cut him during that time and he landed with the Sticks. BTW...I tend to think of Fitzpatrick as an old fart but he wasn't born until a couple of years after this league was!

EDIT..I looked at Chase Claypool for 2020. The Heroes had drafted him in the 15th round. He had a good week sandwiched between two lousy ones and Hogan let him go in Week 4, the Steelers bye. He went off in Week 5 of course and the Bombers won him with a $210 bid! They traded him to the Rbacks for a 2021 3rd rounder after six pretty productive weeks. Unfortunately for Dave, Claypool fell off the cliff and finished the year with a couple of single-digit games. 

*=I used 'bode' twice in the same paragraph. What do I win?



Happy Birthday Little Pixie!!





It's been far too long since I dropped some Leningrad Cowboys!




2 comments:

  1. I remember that Fitzmagic year in Tampa being a fun one to watch. Cool stuff commish.

    Big cake for the big 3 years!

    ReplyDelete